Congratulations! You are taking the first steps to change your life and try scuba diving in Gran Canaria. Scuba diving is one of the most rewarding and exhilarating recreational sports out there and in Gran Canaria, the dive sites are beautiful and guaranteed to get you hooked!
Let’s have a look at the most frequent questions I get asked as an Instructor working in Gran Canaria and answer them to make you feel calm, relaxed and excited for when you try scuba diving in Gran Canaria for the first time!
Can everyone participate in the Discover Scuba Diving lesson?
Nearly everyone can try diving in Gran Canaria:
- No prior diving experience is necessary
- There no swimming requirements.
- There is no a weight limit
- And it is never too late to start scuba diving!
Things you must consider:
- You must be 10 years or older
- Must be able to pass the PADI medical questionnaire that the team will talk you through prior to diving. The medical questionnaire isn’t as scary as it sounds. It is there to find out if you have any preexisting medical conditions that may affect your well being during your scuba diving lesson. Safety comes first!
Will you pick me up from my hotel?
Yes! When you inquire about trying scuba diving in Gran Canaria, you will speak to one of our friendly instructors who will arrange all the necessary details with you, including place of pick up and time. Don’t worry the diving team will be at your hotel at the arranged pick-up time. One member will wait for you in the reception and escort you to the van which will be waiting outside.
If you would like to ask for some recommendations regarding where to stay during your holiday in Gran Canaria, feel free to ask. The dive team have an extensive knowledge of the island and are more than happy to advise you on where to stay in Playa Del Ingles, Puerto de Mogan, Puerto Rico, Maspalomas or any area of the island.
Where will my first scuba diving lesson take place?
Leagues Ahead ensure your first diving experience is a comfortable one, we conduct a shore dive at Amadores Beach in the South of Gran Canaria. You will walk slowly to the water with your instructor and enter into shallow water where the water is only up to your knees. We make sure you are completely comfortable in the water before progressing onto the dive. It’s just like being in a swimming pool!
Click to have a look at Playa de Amadores here. We choose this gem of a dive site because of its gentle and calm conditions making it the perfect place for your first try dive. It is hidden between Puerto Rico and Puerto de Mogan on the South-west coast of Gran Canaria.
Where will you take me underwater when I try diving in Gran Canaria?
- We start with confined water training in the shallows of Amadores, the flat sandy bottom composition ensure it is easy to get your balance and relax while breathing underwater for the first time.
- The dive lasts approximately forty minutes and during this time you have the option to descend to 12 metres depending on how comfortable you are.
- The route may differ depending on if you would prefer to stay in the shallower water and if you feel comfortable enough to go to 12 metres where we will visit a man-made reef.
Will my equipment fit?
When you book a dive the instructor will take your shirt size and shoe size and we will then select the appropriate diving equipment from this. Try to be as accurate as possible, don’t add or take away a couple of sizes, although we have all done that before! We only use brand new Cressi diving equipment all purchased with safety and comfort in mind ensuring your first underwater adventure will be as safe and as comfortable as it possibly can be.
Is this equipment heavy?
Once you are in the water you cannot feel the equipment at all. Your instructor will help you on with every piece of equipment and will hold your scuba cylinder at the back to make kitting up as easy as it can be. It is also only a short walk from the car park to the entry point of Amadores.
If you find the equipment is too heavy for you, we have a selection of eager Divemasters who will be more than willing to carry your equipment down to the water for you and carry it back to the van for you after the dive is finished. Every dive burns on average 600 calories, so it’s not all bad, is it?
How many other Discover Scuba Divers will I be with?
- We always dive in small groups (maximum 6 students)
- You will have your own personal instructor.
- Leagues Ahead Diving conduct one on one training to make sure your experience is as relaxed and fun as it should be.
- You will be allocated an instructor upon arrival to the dive site who will be there to guide you through every step of the process
- A detailed briefing at the beginning of the lesson to make you feel at ease. The briefing will explain how to put on your diving equipment, what training will take place and what to do during the dive itself.
- We have several instructors and Divemasters working for us, so you will still be able to go with all your friends and family.
How long will the excursion take?
- On average from start to finish It will take three hours, this includes the most difficult part of the day getting into your wetsuit!
- A full briefing from your instructor explaining what will happen
- A full 25-minute training in shallow water to get you used to breathing underwater
- And a full 40-minute dive to see lots of fish.
- We also include after dive snacks and refreshments.
What will I see when I try scuba diving in Gran Canaria?
Gran Canaria is renowned for its rich variety in marine life, and Amadores is thriving with an abundance of different types of species. During your try dive in Gran Canaria, we aim to make it the best it can be! Because of this, we take you to the best places to see lots of fish.
We always see:
Cuttlefish, Parrotfish, Atlantic Wrasse, Gold Striped Bream, Blue lizard fish, Bluefin Damselfish, Octopus and much more. It is also very common to find a sting-ray or angel shark in the Canarian waters, we know where they hide! Why not read our blog about the fish species of Gran Canaria, or look at our Instagram profile to have a sneak preview of what you can see during your try dive.
Can I get photographs to remember my experience?
Yes, of course, you are allowed to bring your underwater camera to take lots of lovely underwater snaps. Alternatively, we also offer photographs and videos documenting your underwater journey from start to finish. This costs thirty euros and can be arranged on the day. It is a lovely way to show your friends and family you try scuba diving in Gran Canaria!
Does it matter that I am nervous? I don’t want to slow the group down.
It doesn’t matter at all, as you have your own instructor we cater the dives around your needs. If you want to stay in shallower water then that is completely fine, you’re the boss! Our instructors are extremely patient, experienced and will make you feel as relaxed as possible. It’s important to remember being nervous when trying something new is normal, we all have to start somewhere.
I hope I could be of some help when it comes to deciding whether or not to take the plunge, what else can I say but go for it, you won’t regret it! If you have more questions please don’t hesitate to ring or email.